How Can I Relieve Discomfort in the Rectal Area?If your rectal area becomes sore because of frequent bowel movements, or if you experience itching, burning, or pain during bowel movements:
- Try warm baths. Afterwards, pat the area dry (do not rub) with a clean, soft towel.
- Apply a hemorrhoid cream or white petroleum jelly to the anus.
Can Diarrhea Harm My Health?Yes. Ongoing diarrhea causes the body to lose large amounts of water and nutrients. If you have watery stools more than three times a day and you are not drinking enough fluids, you could become dehydrated, which can cause serious complications if not treated.
Notify your doctor if you have ongoing diarrhea and are experiencing any of the following signs of dehydration:
- Dark urine
- Small amount of urine
- Rapid heart rate
- Dry skin
- Dry mouth and tongue
- Sunken eyes or cheeks
- No or decreased tear production
- Decreased number of wet diapers
- Irritability or listlessness
- Skin that stays pinched instead of flattening out after being pinched